Depression is one of the most common issues that brings one to search for a therapist. Depression affects millions of people each year bringing with it difficulties that can make it challenging to function at home, work, school, and in our relationships. When you're feeling depressed, sometimes just getting out of bed can seem like an insurmountable challenge.
- feeling sad, hopeless, worthless, or guilty
- not being able to find joy or pleasure in things you used to
- sleeping too much or too little
- eating more or less than usual
- having difficulty focusing or thinking clearly
- thoughts of hurting yourself
There are many different types of depression. Some of the most common are:
- Major Depressive Disorder is a mood disorder in which one experiences many of the symptoms listed above for at least a two week period of time.
- Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia) is a pervasive type of depression that is experienced most days over the course of at least two years. Symptoms are typically less severe than those associated with Major Depressive Disorder.
- Bipolar Disorder is a condition in which one experiences periods of time in which their mood is highly elevated (mania or hypomania). Sometimes, mania can be experienced to such an intensity that hospitalization is required. Many people that live with Bipolar Disorder often experience episodes of major depression.
A doctor can prescribe a medication to help manage the symptoms of depression, such as an antidepressant. Medications such as these change certain chemicals in your brain that may be associated with depression.
Talk therapy can help you understand more about the factors that may be contributing to feeling depressed and illuminate possible changes you can make to feel better. Working with a therapist can provide support as you navigate the sometimes overwhelming challenges that come with depression and help you focus on ways to better cope with these experiences.
Therapists at Live True Counseling Can Help
Therapists at Live True Counseling understand how debilitating depression can be. We work with clients in a variety of different ways to explore, understand, and treat those who are suffering from experiences of depression. We work collaboratively with our clients to create an approach unique to each situation to help them become empowered to address their depression with integrity and intention. If you are suffering from depression and need support, schedule a free consultation with one of our therapists to see how we can help you.