Welcome to Live True's Existential-Humanistic Consultation Groups. Our groups are designed to provide a platform for mental health professionals to deepen their understanding of existential-humanistic methodologies, specifically phenomenological methodology and being with a client. The groups are facilitated by Justin Rock, a Licensed Professional Counselor with a rich background in existential-humanistic therapy and Sarah Pattee, a Licensed Professional Counselor and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist.
Consultation Group Details
Our consultation groups run from September 2023 through May 2024, providing a 9-month immersive experience. The groups are designed for registered associates (the new term in Oregon for registered interns), LPCs, LMFTs, LCSWs, and other mental health professionals interested in working more humanistically.
We offer six different group from two different supervisors:
- Group #1 (Justin): 1st Thursday of the month from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm (in-person) -
- Group #2 (Justin): 2nd Monday of the month from 9:00 am to 11:00 am (in-person) - FULL
- Group #3 (Justin): 2nd Thursday of the month from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm (in-person) - FULL
- Group #4 (Justin): 3rd Thursday of the month from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm (in-person) - FULL
- Group #5 (Sarah): 2nd Friday of the month from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm (in-person) - ALMOST FULL
- Group #6 (Sarah): 3rd Monday of the month from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm (in-person) - ALMOST FULL
- Group #7 (Ryan): 4th Thursday of the month from 6:00 pm to 8:00pm (in-person) - Due to high demand, we have added a 7th monthly group
Please note that Group #4 will meet on 4/25/24 instead of 4/18/24
The groups aim to:
- Cultivate personal and relational presence in and with clients
- Therapeutically be with clients' protective patterns creating possibilities for clients.
- Be a therapeutic community to support the self-of-the-therapist's growth.
Through role-playing and case consultations, participants will gain a deeper understanding of:
- Clients' and Therapists' self and world constructs
- Their own reactions and responses to clients' patterns
- How to be with their own personal contexts to resolve therapeutic impasses
Role-plays are an integral part of our consult group, following the tradition of E-H Therapy training. We also focus on the process of decolonizing consciousness through existential phenomenological training.
How to Apply
While there are no prerequisites for joining these groups, a consultation meeting with Justin is required to sign up. This can be scheduled via phone, telehealth, or in person.
The cost for the series is $720 (can be paid monthly - $80 a group). These groups meet 2 hours of group supervision requirements a month for associates and provide a total of 18 CEUs (pending) for the series for licensed therapists.
The registration deadline for the upcoming series is August 15th, 2023.
About Justin Rock
Justin Rock is an Existential-Humanistic Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) with a Master’s degree in Marriage, Family, and Couples Therapy. He operates a private practice in SE Portland, focusing on end of life/bereavement and ethical non-monogamous families. Justin's approach to therapy is heavily influenced by his study of philosophy, particularly phenomenology, existentialism, and philosophy of mind. He is dedicated to facilitating a good life with authenticity.